Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Altec Model 15

  1. #1
    Inactive Member giaisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,

    I just got an old altec model 15 monitor speakers. The cabinets needs complete replacement, (i am suspecting they are not the original cabinets anyway). But the drivers looks okay.

    I would like to seek help on the specs of the drivers (LF and HF) and the specs of the crossover.

    Also, if i were to build a cabinet for these what would be the best design. The LF drivers are 12 inches (no decals at the back) and the HF drivers look like the 808 series (there are no decals at the back).

    Thanks,
    Giaisa

  2. #2
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I own a pair of the Model 15's which I bought new in 1978, and I completely rebuilt the cabinets about 1.5 years ago. I totally redesigned them. Made them narrower and higher, keeping the same volume as the old cabinets. Making them higher made them sound better because it got the horn up to about ear level. Also added doors on them which I can open and close for more of a astethic appeal for the wife. The speakers look like our Mission Style furniture we have.

    The high-frequency driver is the same as the Model-19. It's a 802-8G with the Tangerine plug.

    Hope this helps.

    Mike

  3. #3
    Inactive Member giaisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Mike,

    Thanks you for your reply! Yes, it definitely helps. Did you place any sound dampening material inside the cabinet and can you still improve on the crossovers?

    Thanks again,
    giaisa

  4. #4
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I haven't researched replacing/upgrading the crossover. It might be worth looking into. I know that there has been a some work done for the crossover for the Model-19 and Model-17 (604). I'm a Software Engineer....Not a Electrical Engineer, so someone else will have to pursue this. Not really interested in experimenting on a dozen different crossovers to find the one that is marginally better. If someone actually spends the time in designing a new/better one I'd be willing to try it. One thing I did do was clean the old crossover very well. They were coated with dust and grime. I also upgraded the wires. Went to a 14 guage wire as opposed to the 22 or 20 guage wire that was in there. I think my new speakers sound better, but I can't contribute that to ONE specific thing. Is it the new wires, or the fact that the horn is 12" higher, or that I cleaned the old crossovers. Don't really know.

    As for dampening...Yes I bought some dampening material from Speakers Express. It's the Wool type dampening material. The original Cab was full of dampening material. I tried to keep the same volume of dampening material in the new cabinets.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member giaisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Mike,

    I will start putting this together once my cabinets are done, will update you on the result.

    Thanks again,
    Giaisa

  6. #6
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by giaisa:
    Hi Mike,

    I will start putting this together once my cabinets are done, will update you on the result.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What kind of cabinets are you building?? The same as the origional or a different design like I did? Would be interesed in what you decided.

    Mike

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    I've never seen one and the small pic I found shows a woofer that doesn't look familar, so I'm curious as to what model it is, any idea and/or specs?

    TIA,

    GM

  8. #8
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by GM:
    I've never seen one and the small pic I found shows a woofer that doesn't look familar, so I'm curious as to what model it is, any idea and/or specs?

    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not sure of the exact model #, but it's the same 12" woofer used in the Model-14 and the professional model 9842. Earlier versions of the speaker used a Stamped Steel woofer. Later Altec changed to a Cast frame system. Acoustically they sound the same.

    Mike

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    OK, thanks. Since it appears to be an OEM driver rather than as a separate catalog item, I guess at this late date if we want to know the specs, one will have to be measured. I wonder how close it is to the 3124? Cab wise, it looks like a good fit for either model, though it may not go high enough for a 1.5kHz XO.

    GM

  10. #10
    Inactive Member giaisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Mike,

    Im just copying the original cabinet, although i am thinking bout your design of increasing the height to ear level. Would you happen to have the specs of your cabinets?

    Thanks,
    Giaisa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.